Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Random Thoughts of the Day

Mixed Religion Families and the holidays
I saw a very interesting segment on the Today show this morning. It was about mixed religion families and the holiday season. They had a rabbi and a reverend discussing the pros and cons of celebrating two holidays. The bottom line was that it is okay to celebrate both holidays - it is who you are and what you believe. They stressed that might have to compromise on some aspects of the holidays but to remain who you are.

Metformin - my magic pill
To add to everything that has been going on the past few weeks - my doctor believes that I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) - I had some tests come back that are suggestive of PCOS combined with my gestational diabetes, irregular periods, and weight gain.

See link below for info on PCOS:
http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/Polycystic_Ovary_Syndrome.cfm

The weird thing about PCOS is that they symptoms can begin gradually. My youngest sister also has PCOS (it is hereditary).

There is no cure to PCOS but some of the symptoms can be managed with diabetes medication (it helps with insulin resistance - one of the symptoms of PCOS). So I started taking Metformin yesterday. The only bad part of Metformin is that the first few weeks it causes some gastrointestinal problems (yipee! just kidding).

Bah humbug and other stuff
I feel really bad about feeling this way but I'm just not in the mood for the holidays. I am trying so hard for the sake of the kids. We decorated the tree last night and put out all of the menorahs.

But it just doesn't feel the same. There is something missing. In fact, that's the way I've been feeling all day every day. Something is off. Life isn't the same.

I don't know how long it will take for reality to set in but it feels like my mom is just on vacation. I keep waiting for the phone to ring and hear her voice on the other line.

I'm dreading Christmas...it will be full of gifts she bought before she passed away.

And it's funny that after the funeral, people just go back to normal. The phone calls gradually become less and less. But you're still not okay.

No comments: