Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Crazy Sexy Cancer

A few weeks ago at work (Ulman Fund), we received a book called "Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips." It looked right up my alley so I took it home and read it (in one night). (www.crazysexycancer.com)

Much to my delight, Kris Carr also created a documentary about her experience. Kris has a very rare and incurable form of cancer. Every part of her ups and downs were filmed...the laughing...the crying....and everything in between.

I took so much from her book and the documentary. So many feelings that I had that I though were stupid were very much validated.

As an example, did you know that many people diagnosed with cancer later suffer from post-tramatic stress disorder? Let's face it, you have a doctor telling you that you have CANCER. The big "C." Your thoughts automatically start racing and your life literally starts flashing before your eyes. I can remember my mind going blank and shutting down.

And another one (and this one I learned through my experience), once people learn you have or had cancer, they don't know what to say. Usually, they say, "I know [insert name here] that had your type of cancer and they are just fine." That's not necessarily the thing to hear....let's face it..you don't care...you are worried about you...right now...not someone that had it and is fine....

I am so thankfully that I read the book and watched the documentary (my husband actually watched it with me too!!) - I felt more informed and so much calmer.

So I'll take what I have learned and wait the 6 months for another ultrasound to see if the stupid little lymph node has grown. But I know that if I need to.....I'll kick cancer's butt....again...

No comments: