Yesterday I got the phone call that I've been dreading...the call that somehow I knew would happen.
But let me back up....
A week ago, I went for my yearly cancer check-up. This year, my doctor followed different protocol. Instead of being poked and proded with some synthetic drug, I went for a neck ultrasound.
I am a member of Johns Hopkins (I'm being sarcastic...I have an orange id card that means you've been a visitor way too frequently). And thankfully, that is where I had my ultrasound. My technician was great. We talked all of the way through the ultrasound.
And I thought things were okay....until....the call.
As I spoke to the doctor, I could hear what was coming. "We found an abnormal lymph node." and "The next step is for you to go for a biopsy." and followed by, "You have a 1 in 10 chance of recurrence."
At that very moment, the wind was completely knocked out of me. I felt myself gasping to breathe.
Now, I know the odds are in my favor but let me just say that the odds have never helped me before so I can't just be sure that this is simply an abnormal lymph node.
I am so very thankful that I was at work yesterday. The one place where I could cry freely and not feel stupid.
After all, this is what the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults is all about. This is what we do. (kind of ironic - isn't it)
So I'll schedule my biopsy appointment and wait. I'll go about my daily activities like nothing is wrong - knowing all the while that this is hanging over my head.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
We found your blog!!!!
How is everything going? Do you have a date for your biopsy yet?
We were looking for copies of your pics from Hilton Head, but Snapfish said you had taken down the site???
We miss you guys.
-----Alex & Maura
Post a Comment